I'm taking a quick break from my Pinterest Project Month to do a quick thrift store redo. I went to a party last night and a good friend asked me what I had been working on lately and when I realized I had nothing to report it made me sad. Zip. Nada. No Dice.
So I had to fix that. This piece had been sitting in my closet for a while because I was trying to figure out what the hell to do with it. I grabbed it from the thrift store because of it's beautiful colors and floral pattern and it had a shit ton of fabric. Seriously. Shit ton of fabric. This bitch could have a double life as a circus tent.
Some Say this moo-moo took over a small village in the Himalayas.
Some say this moo-moo auditioned for American Idol and Simon Cal liked it.
Some say this moo-moo once ate a small dog in the swamp lands known as Florida.
All I know is it's called the Moo-Moo of DOOM!
Name aside, this was actually a really quick fun project. It was actually the easiest fix I have ever completed and it only took me an hour to complete - I think this must mean I'm getting better at this.
First, I cut the top off were all the fabric was gathered so I could get a better idea of how much fabric I was dealing with.
|Sorry for the half baked look and the mess.|
It's safe to say my first metric unit of measurement was correct. I was dealing with a shit ton of fabric. The moo-moo was made up of 8 panels of fabric sown together. I found the largest panel and made that the "front" so there would be no seam going down the front. I pulled the dress around to see where the dress should end and wouldn't you know it, where I wanted the dress to end there were two seams that met in that same spot.
So I cut the excess off on both sides where the two seams met where I wanted the dress to end.
I serged the ends together.
Now I am back to a form of a dress it's just much smaller.
Cut a straight line (Shocking I can even do this) at the top. Where I originally cut at the top wasn't very straight because of the arm pits.
Make a casing at the top making sure it's slightly bigger than the piece of elastic that's going to hold this piece clothing over top your boobs. Because a nice day at the beach should not end in ticket for indecent exposure. Cause that's just not cool, man.
Using an Iron to press down the edge. Pin.
Sew the edge of the casing
Just don't sew all the way around leave a little whole so you can feed the elastic through.
Before we continue I would like to talk to you boys and girls about elastic. You would think elastic wouldn't be that big of a deal, but sadly it is. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD ONLY BUY NON-ROLL ELASTIC. DO NOT BUY ROLLABLE ELASTIC FOR CLOTHING. IF THE ONLY THING YOU LISTEN TO ME ON THIS ENTIRE BLOG IS FOR THE LOVE OF GOD ONLY BUY NON-ROLL ELASTIC. Don't even look at the other stuff.
Using a safety pin at one end of the elastic,
feed the elastic through the casing all the way though until it comes out through the other side.
Try on the dress real quick and get it adjusted to the amount of elastic you need.
Trim excess elastic off and sew it to itself.
Yea it's not pretty but it will work.
Finish up by sewing the hole of the casing closed.
You can even add your own clothing labels.
That's It! This project had absolutely no screaming involved, no hissy fits, and no rage quitting Which is a first for me. Having a a-line halter top is a first for me because Regina George and I have man shoulders. But I have been feeling a little more confident lately from hitting the gym. I can really tell how much weight I've lost from the before and after picture. The before picture is from June 24th 2012.
So you can wear it as a cute bathing suit cover for the beach. All you need is some sun glasses, a beach bag, a towel, and a drink. Oh look I just happen to have all of that.....
OR if you don't want to wear it as a beach cover you can pair it with a belt and have a pretty new dress.
Or you can combine both out fits. Because a drink really goes with any outfit.
I still have fabric from the back of the dress leftover. To make this dress I only used the front. I could have made two of these dresses and it only cost me $6.00 for the dress from the thrift store and elastic.
Also, no comments about the white ass legs. It's January. Give me a break.